Module 10 – First Response
Leaders, managers and supporters in Scouting must hold a current first aid qualification at the time of gaining their Wood Badge and at their appointment renewal. However, from the end of 2020, they are required to keep their qualification up to date at all times, which means retaking the course every three years. The minimum standard for this qualification is First Response, but higher levels of qualification are needed if delivering first aid training or leading certain kinds of adventurous activities. This provision will ensure a minimum standard of first aid knowledge and training across the Movement.
Criteria for course
All courses cover the following criteria. The level of detail and time spent on each subject will vary, depending on whether it is a First Response or Full (two day) First Aid course.
• Principles of first aid and initial response (arriving and managing an incident)
• Initial response to a first aid situation
• Management of an unconscious casualty (child or adult)
• CPR, including technique for children and an explanation of what AED is and how to use it
• Causes and treatment of unconsciousness
• Heat exhaustion, heatstroke, dehydration and hypothermia
• Burns and scalds
• Fractures (ambulance imminent and non-imminent) and soft tissue injuries
• Minor injuries (for example cuts, grazes and nose bleeds)
• Anaphylaxis (use of Epi pen)
• Spinal injury
The day starts at 9.00am with coffee and registration.
Please bring a packed lunch.
Southgate District Scout HQ Redwood Close N14 6HW (5 mins walk from Southgate Tube)